No matter where you travel the prices for a checked bag are usually very expensive. Many people are now trying to travel with carry on luggage only, but it can be difficult to navigate all of the different carry-on luggage sizes for Europe. Each carrier has their own rules about weight and dimensions, so we will share all of that with you as well as what we think is the best carry on luggage for Europe.
What size carry on luggage is best?
No matter what they tell you, size matters! Each airline is slightly different with the dimensions which they allow. Some actually have you measure it at check-in or while you are boarding the plane. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason when they do decide to check, but no matter what you should be ready. Below you will see a chart showing some of the most popular European Airlines and their carry-on luggage or hand baggage allowance. We review the dimensions, weight and also show if an additional personal item is allowed.
European Airlines Carry-On Luggage Allowance
|Airline||Carry-on size||Carry-on Weight||Personal bag size|
|Ryanair||55x40x20 cm||10 kg||35x20x20 cm|
45x36x20 cm under seat
|No limit||Accessories (umbrella, coat, duty free bag, etc)
1 only for Plus/Flexi. View link below for exact policy.
|W!ZZ||42x32x25 cm free|
56x45x25 cm paid
|Not specified||1 free if priority boarding|
|Vueling||55x45x20 cm||10 kg||35x20x20 cm|
|Norwegian||55x40x23 cm||10 kg||25x33x20 cm|
|Iberia||56x45x25 cm||Not specified||1 personal item|
|Air Europa||56x35x25 cm||10 kg||20x35x30 cm|
|Transavia||55x40x25 cm||10 kg||Must go in carry-on|
|British Airways||56x45x25 cm||23 kg||40x30x15 cm|
What’s the best carry on luggage for Europe?
So now that you have had a moment to process all of that information, what carry-on luggage should you buy? Based on all of the information provided by the airlines, we have done all of the research for you. Below you will find our top recommendations for the best carry-on luggage, which should meet the allowance for all of the airlines. Do review the details of the luggage before you make a purchase and keep in mind the weight of the empty suitcase as well.
** EasyJet has the smallest dimensions, so many may not comply.
- Aerolite Super Lightweight ABS Hard Shell Travel Carry On
- Samsonite Hand Luggage, 34 Liters
- Samsonite Aspire Xlite Expandable Upright 21.5, Black
- CabinZero Ultra-Light Massive Capacity
- Set of 2 Lightweight Travel Wheely Wheeled Bags
- American Tourister Bon Air 4 Wheel Suitcase
- Samsonite Lite-Shock Hand Luggage
- Aerolite 22x14x9″ Carry On MAX Lightweight Upright Travel Trolley Bags Luggage Suitcase, 4 Wheel Spinner, Maximum Allowance Approved for Delta, South West, American Airlines! (Plum 9975)
- Aerolite Super Lightweight Carry On with 8 Wheels
- Timbuk2 Co-Pilot Luggage Roller, Black, Medium
Weigh your bag before you go!
Imagine showing up at the airport to find your bag is 1 kg over the weight limit and now you need to pay 40€ or more to check your bag. You can avoid this, by making sure you weigh your luggage before you go to the airport. Yes you can try to use your home scale, but the luggage doesn’t always sit on it properly and you won’t likely get an accurate reading.
Instead, we recommend you purchase a small luggage scale which you can easily take on your trips with you. This way you can weigh your luggage before you return home too. Just think of all of those souvenirs or gifts you bought. You can weigh your luggage in advance and determine the best options, if you are over the weight limit. Perhaps you even have time to buy a checked bag online, rather than showing up at the airport and having to pay the higher fee there.
- Luggage Scale Portable Digital Travel Suitcase Scales
- Luggage Scale MYCARBON
- Digital Luggage Scales 50kg LCD Display
Airline carry-on luggage and hand baggage policies
The information provided here was current at the time of writing. Please verify with your airline, just in case they have changed their policies for hand baggage or carry-on luggage.
- Ryanair luggage FAQ’s
- EasyJet baggage FAQ’s
- W!ZZ Air baggage rules
- Vueling hand baggage policy
- Norwegian hand baggage policy
- Iberia carry-on luggage policy
- Air Europa hand baggage allowance
- Transavia hand luggage information
- British Airways hand baggage allowance
Useful Packing Tips
- Measure and weigh your hand luggage before going the airport.
- Label your luggage with your name, destination address, email and phone number, and remove tags from previous flights.
- It’s also advisable to put a copy of your address inside your bag.
- Avoid packing valuables in your checked luggage and secure handles and loose straps to avoid any damage.
- It’s best to carry medicine, money and important travel documents in your cabin bag.
- Roll your clothes to save space.
- Wear your largest or heaviest items, so you don’t need to pack them.
Remember when you travel to make sure you are covered for the unexpected with travel insurance. Click here to visit our directory listing for travel insurance and receive an instant quote.