We all want to stay healthy and be able to enjoy our lives to the fullest. Sometimes that means we need to visit a medical professional to keep us from getting ill, or help us when we aren’t feeling well. We have a few options listed for general health care in Almuñécar, (general medical doctor, optometrist, dentist, pediatrician, clinical analysis, and more). No one wants to experience and emergency, but it is always good to know what’s available to you, just in case you need it. We will cover the main medical centers and clinics in Almuñécar and also provide information about the nearest hospitals.
Table of Contents
- In case of an emergency call 112
- General Health Care In Almuñécar & Costa Tropical
- Doctors for Private Health Insurance
- Public Medical Centers & Hospitals
- Centro de Salud de Almuñécar Medical & Health Center
- Centro de Salud La Herradura
- Nordic Health Care 24 hour doctor and ambulance service 365 days (with clinic and house calls)
- Intermedical Suarez Saavedra Almuñécar (Spanish, English, Swedish) Läkarhus / Medical Center – 24 Hour Doctor (Emergency, Ambulance & House calls)
- Vithas Salud Nerja (Spanish, English, French, German, Swedish and more)
- Almusalud Medical Center Almuñécar
- Hospital Comarcal Santa Ana de Motril
- Clinical Analysis
- Other Medical Services
- La Herradura – Almuñécar Pharmacy – 24 hour rotation
- Farmacia de Guardia La Herradura
- Almunecar Pharmacy Schedule
- Spanish Health Insurance
- Public Hospitals in Granada
- Public Hospitals in Málaga (Hospital Costa del Sol)
- Hospital Provincial Málaga
- Hospital Provincial San Juan de Dios
- Hospital Ciudad Jardín
- Hospital Comarcal (Regional) de la Axarquía
- Useful numbers to have in Almuñécar.
- If you don’t have a car, check out our Transportation section to see all of your options.
- If you are looking for options with Spanish Private Health Insurance, we have a great post for you to read now!
- Helpful Spanish Vocabulary
- Body Parts In Spanish
- Are you prepared for an emergency?
- Emergency Info Granada Province
- Almuñécar Costa Tropical
- Que ver en Almuñecar/ What to do in Almuñecar
- Places to Stay in Spain
We all try to do our best to stay healthy and living in the beautiful Costa Tropical makes is easier to stay active all year. With the gorgeous weather and the gorgeous mountains cascading down into the beautiful blue sea, we are in a nature lovers paradise. Not to mention all of the amazing fresh local produce, seafood and healthy products to eat. Yes, the stage is set for a healthy life, but sometimes you do need some health care in Almuñécar.
In case of an emergency call 112
Not everything is an emergency, sometimes you just want to go in for a check up or wellness visit. If you have private health insurance, you are likely on a plan which has a network of doctors. Please check with your insurance to ensure you will be covered. If you are just looking for a General Practitioner, Dentist, Optometrist, or a Pediatrician, these should get you started. Of course there are more around town, but these are listed on many of the private health insurance networks.
General Health Care In Almuñécar & Costa Tropical
Private healthcare in Spain for non residents, residents, or foreigners. (not all of them take health insurance so ask before going)
- Pediatrician (Pediatra) – Dr. Alice Lauboeck (located in Motril and speaks English)
- General Medicine & Pediatrics – La Clinica, International clinic with a variety of services, including Treatment of acute and chronic illnesses, as well as individually structured health check-ups. I don’t believe they take private insurance, but ask. (Located along the Paseo del Altillo and speaks English & German)
- General Medicine – Clínicas Bellas Nieto (located near Plaza Madrid and speaks English) This one is listed in several of the “insurance networks”, so for some is the only option.
- 24 hour Doctor – Nordic Health Care – Nordic Health Care provides general and emergency medical doctors as well as specialists when needed. In case of emergency we have an ambulance service 24/7.
- Physical Therapy /Osteopath (Fisioterapia y osteópata) – Fisioterapia La Herradura
- Massage Therapy with Healing Space Clinic
- Ophthalmologist (Oftalmólogo)- Check with your insurance provide to see who is in your network. (for Sanitas and DKV it will be in Motril or Nerja)
- Optician (Óptico ) – Optica Aquamar (located in P4, down the street from Mercadona)
- Dentist/Orthodontist (Dentista / Ortodoncista) – Almusalud
- More Hospitals and Health Centers
- More Doctors & Medical Practitioners
- 24-hour Dentist! Emergency Dental (in English) – Gross Dental Clinic in Malaga.
Appointments 952 220 775 and 24-hour emergency 649 965 932
Doctors for Private Health Insurance
If you have private health insurance, most health networks include:
- Vithas Salud (Nerja) this is a large clinic with many specialists and English is likely available for most instances. I believe they have dental too, but we have not personally used their dental services. It is more of a one stop shopping and it is very easy to access via car or it’s just a few blocks from the bus stop. You can take the Alsa bus from Almuñécar or La Herradura with a stop in Nerja, and I think it is about 4 euros.
- Clínicas Bellas Nieto (located near Plaza Madrid and speaks English) This one is listed in several of the “insurance networks”. If you need to see a specialist, he will need to refer you. Many of the specialists are in Motril or Nerja.
Please let them know that Almuñécar Info sent you!
Public Medical Centers & Hospitals
Centro de Salud de Almuñécar Medical & Health Center
This is located in the P4 area of town. You typically need to be in the National Spanish Healthcare system and be a holder of your Salud card to use these services. In addition, they will accept your European Health cards as well. That said, as non-EU foreigners, we have used the emergency services for stitches and first aid and the walk-in health center for vaccines for the kids. Other names which may be used are Centro Medico Almuñécar or Centro de Salud Almuñécar.
Read more about Centro de Salud Almuñécar hours, appointments and contact info.
- The Health Center is located on the west side of the building, facing the Puerta del Mar school.
- The Emergency Medical Center is on the east side of the building, facing the park. If you are a foreigner and don’t have a health card, please remember to bring your passport and/or resident card with you. Health Center Appointments +34 955 545 060 or Emergencies: +34 902 505 061
Centro de Salud La Herradura
Located in the same building as the municipal market in the center of town, across from the beach. You typically need to be in the National Spanish Healthcare system and be a holder of your Salud card to use these services. In addition, they will accept your European Health cards as well. Other names which may be used are Centro Medico La Herradura or Centro de Salud La Herradura.
Read more about Centro de salud La Herradura opening hours, appointments and contact info.
Nordic Health Care 24 hour doctor and ambulance service 365 days (with clinic and house calls)
Nordic Health Care provides general and emergency medical doctors as well as specialists when needed.
In case of emergency they have Doctor and ambulance service 24/7. The clinic in Almuñécar is located at Paseo San Cristobal, 18 in the Jardines Mariote Building. The staff are multi-lingual and can speak English, French, Swedish, German, Danish, and more. Your La Herradura and Almuñecar doctor!
Läkarhus / Medical Center – 24 Hour Doctor (Emergency, Ambulance & House calls)
This is a private medical center, affiliated with Quiron Salud, which accepts some international health insurance and travel insurance. Please check with your provider, as they will charge if not covered by insurance. They offer 24 hour emergency services, doctor house calls, and ambulance services. They cover areas from Nerja to Motril. In addition, their center is open daily from 09:00 – 21:00 for walk-in services. The medical center is located at the ground level of the Chinasol building at the end of San Cristobal Beach.
Read more about Intermedical SS Almuñécar opening hours, phone numbers and contact info.
Vithas Salud Nerja (Spanish, English, French, German, Swedish and more)
This is a private medical center, which may take some international health insurance and travel insurance. Please check with your provider. They do currently accept DKV & Sanitas. If you are a walk-in patient without insurance for a sick-visit, they will charge for the visit, plus any additional fees for tests and scans. They have 8 hospital beds, can do x-rays, blood analysis, and so much more. They are located across from Supersol in Nerja. We have more information in our business directory with opening hours, services offered and more information.
Read more about Vithas Salud opening hours, appointments and contact info.
Almusalud Medical Center Almuñécar
They offer many services from physical therapy, dentistry, orthodontics, cosmetic treatments as well as an infirmary. The infirmary has limited hours and days, so please call for an appointment. From 09:00 – 14:00 / 17:00 – 21:00 Monday to Friday by appointment, 958 880 080. They are located on Av. Europa, just a couple of blocks towards the beach from the municipal market.
Read more about Almusalud Medical Center opening hours, appointments and contact info.
The closest hospital is in Motril. If you need hospital services this would be the place to go. We have also listed below some of the general public hospitals in Granada and the eastern side of Málaga.
Sometimes we need to go in for a blood or urine test and this is the place to go. If you need to have a urine test, be sure to pick up the urine cup at your local pharmacy and bring the sample to the clinic for drop off.
Sometimes what you need for health care in Almuñécar isn’t available. So you may need to go a little further to Motril and at times it is best to go to Granada or Malaga.
Other Medical Services
- Alternative Therapy, Massage Therapy, Bach Flower Remedies, Reiki Energy Healing
Healing Space Clinic offers therapeutic Danish massage and natural therapies. (Reiki energy healing, Therapeutic Massage, Bach Flower Remedies and more in Almuñécar. Danish, English and German. By Appointment
Paseo San Cristóbal 18 18690 Almuñécar
+34 658 940 974
Dermatology and Venereology
Goicoechea Acosta, Clara
Segre River Street, 2
By appointment 958 609 319
Conventional RadiologyMachado Quintana, FernandoDiagnostic Center Granada
Calle Francisco Díaz Cardona, 1
By appointment 958 808 820
Conventional RadiologyCold Couple, José LuisMotril Radiological Clinic
Salobreña Avenue, 35
From 9:00 to 14:00 and 17:00 to 21:00
958 605 417
La Herradura – Almuñécar Pharmacy – 24 hour rotation
There are many pharmacies in Almuñécar & La Herradura, most with standard availability from 09:00 – 21:00 (Monday – Friday) and 09:00 – 14:00 on Saturday. Sometimes we have an emergency or need something late at night or on a Sunday. Not to worry, there is a rotation within the pharmacies to ensure that some are open on a Sunday or at night. One way or another, you can have access to a pharmacy 24 hours a day.
The schedule is posted monthly by Granada and can be found here for 24 hour pharmacy service in Almuñécar & La Herradura.
We will do our best to remember to update each month for you, but you can always use the link above for the current month.
Farmacia de Guardia La Herradura
View the detailed schedule for the current month – farmacia de guardia La Herradura.
Almunecar Pharmacy Schedule
View the detailed schedule for the current month – farmacia de guardia Almuñécar.
Spanish Health Insurance
Recommendations for private health insurance Spain.
Please view our directory for private Spanish healthcare insurance options, read more.
Wagoners Abroad also has a review of a few Spanish health insurance options for expats.
Going on a trip? Should You Buy Travel Insurance?
Public Hospitals in Granada
There are a few private hospitals and clinics in Granada, so we have listed the 4 general public hospitals. Of course, the hospital in Motril is closer, but sometimes you need the services in a bigger city.
Hospital General Básico Santa Ana
Avda. Enrique Martín Cuevas, Motril
Tel: 958 038 200
Hospital Universitario San Cecilio
Avda del Doctor Oloriz 16, 18012, Granada
Tel: 958 023 000
Hospital Virgen de las Nieves
Avda de las Fuerzas Armadas 2, 10014, Granada
Tel: 958 020 000
Hospital Provincial de San Juan de Dios
San Juan de Dios 15, 18001, Granada
Tel: 958 022 339
Comunidad Terapéutica Area Norte
Avda de Andalucia 116, 18015, Granada
Tel: 958 021 301
Public Hospitals in Málaga (Hospital Costa del Sol)
There are a number of private hospitals and clinics in the Costa del Sol. We have listed below a few of the general public hospitals along the east coast of Málaga.
Hospital Provincial Málaga
(was called Carlos Haya)
Avda. Carlos Haya, 29010, Málaga
Tel: 951 030 100
Hospital Provincial San Juan de Dios
Avda Doctor Gálvez Ginacher,o 29009, Málaga
Tel: 951 030 300
Hospital Ciudad Jardín
Avda Jorge Silvela 8-10, 29014, Málaga
Tel: 951 030 400
Hospital Comarcal (Regional) de la Axarquía
Finca el Tomillar, 29700, Velez-Málaga (Málaga)
Tel: 951 067 010
Useful numbers to have in Almuñécar.
If you don’t have a car, check out our Transportation section to see all of your options.
Helpful Spanish Vocabulary
- I need an appointment – Necesito una cita
- I have an appointment – Tengo una cita
- Private – Privado
- Insurance – Seguro
- Pain – Dolor
- I hurt or I have pain – Me duele
- Health – Salud
- Blood – Sangre
- Urine – Orina
Body Parts In Spanish
- Body – Cuerpo
- Arm – Brazo
- Hand – Mano
- Finger – Dedo
- Leg – Pierna
- Knee – Rodilla
- Foot – Pie
- Toe – Dedo del pie
- Back – Espalda
- Headache – Dolor de cabeza
- Neck – Cuello
- Nose – Nariz
- Learn more body parts in Spanish here.
Are you prepared for an emergency?
Emergency Info Granada Province
Facebook Group: Click to Join EiA ALMERIA & GRANADA – EMERGENCY INFO ON WEATHER, WILDFIRE AND MUCH MORE
Almuñécar Costa Tropical
Tours, Excursions, Activities, & Day Bus Trips - we have a great list for you here!
Read our Almunecar Spain Guide and what it has to offer you as a tourist or a resident. Come to the Costa Tropical!
Click here for Almuñécar holidays, ferias, fiestas, and festivals.
Some facts all about Almuñécar Spain A-Z, Let’s Learn A Little & Enjoy Almunecar.
El Tiempo en Almuñécar (The Weather in Almuñécar)
Popular Social Media Spots In Almuñécar & La Herradura. Where are the best locations for those Instagram and Facebook photos?
Que ver en Almuñecar/ What to do in Almuñecar
Looking for things to do or what to see in town? We have so many options for you, find out more!
Places to Stay in Spain
Let us advertise your business or event
and reach thousands of people each week!
Contact us today for more information.