The COVID vaccine for expats in Spain is a hot topic right now. We all see the vaccination rollout going on and want to know how we will fit into the picture? How will Spain know about me when I am not listed with the public healthcare system? I have private health insurance, how do I get the vaccine?
Foreigners with residency in Spain can be on the list for the COVID vaccination.
Disclosure: We are publishing the information we have found or have been given via the Centro de Salud, Granada Sur health district and various resources. We are not affiliated with the vaccine program, the Ayuntamiento or Andalusia. We are a privately run website, with useful information for foreigners. If you require more information or have questions, please follow up with the various resources we list below.
Table of Contents
- Covid Booster
- Who can receive the Spain vaccine?
- How can foreigners living in Spain get the COVID vaccine?
- COVID Vaccine in Spain for EU citizens with Residency
- COVID Vaccine for Non-EU citizens with Residency in Spain
- How to register for the COVID vaccine in Spain
- Where are the vaccines administered in Almuñécar?
- How do I get my vaccination certificate?
- COVID-19 Vaccination Strategy in Spain
- Vaccination Plan and FAQ’s
Covid Vaccination Booster info for residents! What you need to know about getting the Covid booster in Spain.
Link to Covid Information Center
Who can receive the Spain vaccine?
- Request at the Centro de Salud or
- Call Salud Responde on 955 54 50 60 or
- Call the Granada Sur Health district: 671 538 843
Frequently Asked Questions for the covid 19 booster and vaccine. Including the various apps you can use for appointments and your vaccine certificate. Also information for walk in vaccines.
How can foreigners living in Spain get the COVID vaccine?
The Spain Vaccine Strategy is a public health strategy and it is important to vaccinate against COVID-19 all the people who reside in the Spanish territory, following, in any case, all the people who reside in the Spanish territory by risk conditions, exposure, age, and other criteria that the strategy. You do need to be a resident, but it doesn’t matter what your nationality is.
The full plan and instruction booklet for professionals.
excerpt from page 10
- The vaccination of all people will be guaranteed regardless of the level of insurance (mutual funds).
- People displaced to other Autonomous Communities and foreigners residing in Spain, who received the first dose in an Autonomous Community other than the one residing at the time of the 2nd dose or who received the first dose in another country, will be administered the 2nd doses in the place where they are displaced or residing.
- To facilitate the location and vaccination of the foreign population, it is essential that they are correctly registered. (see below)
- In the case of residents and large dependents in which there are several legal guardians who do not agree regarding vaccination, the decision supported by science as the best option for these people will prevail, which is vaccination, unless there is some clinical reason that justifies not doing it.
INSTRUCTION DGSPYOF-8/2020 – ANDAL COVID-19 VACCINATION
“When vaccinating each population group, people are not differentiated by their type of public or private insurance , nor by the nationality of the people, since the vaccine against COVID-19 is free for all citizens residing in Spain. However, the administration of vaccines is being organized from the Autonomous Communities, and it is they who will indicate to the population groups to be vaccinated when and where the vaccination will proceed as vaccines become available.” All of the information on vaccination against COVID-19 is available at the following link.
Citizen Information and Attention Office
Paseo del Prado, nº 18 – 20
28071 – MADRID
Tfno.: 915 961 089/90
This was the message from Madrid, but the key is that it’s being organized from the Autonomous Communities.
COVID Vaccine in Spain for EU citizens with Residency
(EU Countries and UK citizens with residency before Brexit)
You will need to ensure you are registered with the local Centro de Salud. In order to do this, you will need your European Health Card and a current Empadronamiento. For UK citizens with residency prior to Brexit, the S1 form will be required with a current Empadronamiento.
Once you are registered with your local health center (Centro de Salud), you will be contacted when it is time for you to receive your COVID vaccine or soon there will be a new mobile app to make an appointment online. (this is for Andalusia only) If you have questions, please visit or contact the local Centro de Salud.
COVID Vaccine for Non-EU citizens with Residency in Spain
If you are autonomo or are paying into the Spanish social security system, you are likely already registered with the Centro de Salud. Please follow the same steps as listed above for the EU citizens to be sure you are in the system.
For non-EU citizens (Americans, Canadians, Australians, Uk citizens gaining residency after Brexit, and more), it is a requirement to have private health insurance to reside in Spain (mainly if you are in Spain on a student visa, retirement visa, or the non-lucrative visa). There are exceptions to this rule, as you may be self-employed, married to a Spanish citizen, or even buy into the Spanish healthcare system with the convenio especial in Andalucía.
I have private insurance. Do I have the right to be vaccinated?
Yes. The vaccine is universal and will be administered free of charge to everyone with private or public insurance. And they are notified in the same way as other people, as they are also in the general list of central services.
The only catch to this is, you need to be listed at your local health center for them to have you on the list!
How to register for the COVID vaccine in Spain
Register Non-EU Citizens with private health insurance for the COVID vaccine
(we have confirmed with the Almuñécar Centro de Salud that this is the correct process and form as of April 6, 2021)
Visit your local Centro de Salud (Health Center) with the following documentation:
- Accepted Mornings only (08:00 – 14:00)
- Complete this Junta de Andalucia form download here
“solicitud de alta en la base de datos de personal usuarias del sspa usuarios privados (extranjeros y no mutualistas)”
- Residency Card / Papers (The original and one photocopy for them to keep)
- Bring your current Empadronamiento from the town hall as well. (The original and one photocopy for them to keep)
Register EU Citizens (with residency) at the Centro de Salud for the COVID vaccine
Visit your local Centro de Salud (Health Center) with the following documentation:
- European Health Card
- Current Empadronamiento
- For UK citizens with residency prior to Brexit, the S1 form will be required with a current Empadronamiento.
Once you are registered with your local health center (Centro de Salud), you will be contacted when it is time for you to receive your COVID vaccine or as of April, there will be a new mobile app to make an appointment online. (this is for Andalucia only)
Where is the admin desk at the Centro de Salud in Almuñécar?
It can be overwhelming to walk into a new building for the first time and not understand how things work.
The Centro de Salud in Almuñécar is located over by the stadium in the P4 area of town.
When you walk in the front door, there are now COVID precautions. They may take your temperature as you walk in and insist you use hand gel. Immediately to the right is the admin reception area.
There is a number queuing system, but it isn’t always working with COVID. You may just need to see who is last in line and then take your turn following that person. There are about 4-6 people working at the desks and they will call for people in the order they entered. Take your letter and documentation with you to the desk and request to be registered.
They may be able to complete this right away or ask you to return to pick up your number later. You should receive a paper or number showing each person registered with the Junta de Andalucía. The number should be beginning with the letters AN representing Andalucía, followed by more numbers/letters.
Once you are registered with your local health center (Centro de Salud), you will be contacted when it is time for you to receive your COVID vaccine.
Where are the vaccines administered in Almuñécar?
They are actually performing the vaccinations outside at the back of the centro de salud, near urgencias (the emergency section). They have you wait in a socially distanced line in the ambulance drive way. When it is your turn, you enter the outdoor courtyard and go to the appropriate vaccination station. This is all done outside, so you will not be in an enclosed space from 09:00 – 14:00.
As of April 8, there is also a large area at the municipal stadium “Francisco Bonet” of Almuñécar, just around the corner from the Centro de Salud. This location will allow for more people to be vaccinated each day from 09:00 – 19:30. Click here for stadium location.
How do I get my vaccination certificate?
- Via the App: log in to the The Salud Andalucía app on their mobile phone and access a covid -19 vaccination certificate (Certificado de vacunación covid). The vaccination certificate is available in downloadable PDF format and as a QR code.
- Via ClicSalud + , provided by the Junta de Andalucia, with your digital certificate or clave access.
- At the local health center (Centro de Salud)
Once you have received vaccination against Covid-19 somewhere in Andalusia, you can download a vaccination certificate with a QR code via the Salud Andalucía app.
Download the app Salud Andalucía
COVID-19 Vaccination Strategy in Spain
Vaccination Plan and FAQ’s
The Civil Protection of Almuñécar collaborates with the vaccination program against COVID -19 of our elders. They will be facilitating the transfer to the Health Center for those in need. For those interested in this program, please call 607 604620 or 958 635822 to arrange the corresponding transfer.