Normally we have costumes, masquerade, parades, singing, dancing, music, activities, food & drink. 2021 will be slightly different.
We will keep the information on what you would normally experience when you celebrate La Herradura & Almuñécar Carnival! The parades begin at one location and end at the party event locations. This year the party locations are at Plaza Kuwait in Almuñécar and at the Plaza de la Independencia in La Herradura. Keep on reading for detailed events and locations.
Table of Contents
- What is Carnival?
- La Herradura & Almuñécar Agenda 2021
- Almuñécar Carnival 2020
- Almuñécar Children’s Carnaval – Friday, February 21
- Almuñécar Adult’s Carnaval – Saturday, February 22
- La Herradura Carnival 2020
- La Herradura & Almuñécar Carnival Image Gallery
- Guide to Carnivales in Andalucia
What is Carnival?
Carnival is typically an annual Christian feast time leading up to Lent. This is the time to eat, drink and be merry. It is often celebrated in style with costumes, masquerade, parades, singing, dancing, music, activities, food and drink. The biggest Carnival event in the world is in Rio de Janeiro. There is also a very large Carnival celebration right here in Spain too, with 10 days of fun at Carnaval in Cádiz. The final night is the biggest parade and costume contests.
You may have also heard of Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday. Fat Tuesday is the last night to indulge in rich and fatty foods, before lent begins on Ash Wednesday. Lent is the period from Ash Wednesday to Easter (Semana Santa). This is a period of 40 days and changes each year according to the date of Easter on Christian calendar. Lent is the time for reflection, awareness, “fasting” or giving up something indulgent, as well as preparation for Easter celebrations. These 40 days of Lent are intended to have Christians replicate Jesus Christ’s sacrifice.
Other terms used: Carnivale, Carnivals, Carnavals, Carnavales
Please see holiday calendar here
La Herradura & Almuñécar Agenda 2021
February 11 – 19, 2021 Photo contest
The Almuñécar Party Department announces an Online Costume Contest. This is to maintain the carnival spirit and stimulate collaboration within the community. This is a traditional festival of fun, but we need to take into account the conditions produced by the Covid pandemic.
Submissions accepted through February 19 at 23:59.
One photograph per contestant may be submitted via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Participants must send the photo by email to: email@example.com
- It must include a single photograph with the following information:
- First and last name, ID number, age, contact telephone number, showing a sign with the year 2021 visible,
- Include the following text :
“I authorize the Department of Culture of the City Council of Almuñécar to publish my photographs in any of the media that it deems appropriate.”
- It must include a single photograph with the following information:
- This contest is for all residents of Almuñécar individually or collectively and without age limits. Photos of groups, should be cohabitantants.
- The theme of the costume is your choice
The following prizes will be awarded:
- 40 prizes of 20 euros each in a single category and to be exchanged in different shops in our town.
- The prizes will be collected from establishments in Almuñécar – La Herradura, within a maximum period of 3 months.
- The jury will be made up of members of the Party Council, who will assess the originality and complexity of the materials used. The decision of the jury will be final.
- The Party Department will contact each of the winners to deliver their prize.
- In addition, all the awarded photographs will be made public in a photographic archive of the social platforms of the Almuñécar City Council and the Department of Culture and Festivities.
- With the presentation of the registration, the consent process and the duty to inform the interested parties about data protection is considered completed.
- Participation in this contest implies full agreement and acceptance of its rules, as well as the decisions made by the jury. Any circumstance not contemplated in these bases will be resolved in an unappealable way by the organization.
- The bases collect that the winners of the different categories will be published on February 21.
Everything below is from years past, just to give you an idea of what is typical for this celebration.
Due to Covid the 2021 celebrations will be different.
Almuñécar Carnival 2020
This is always great fun and you can enjoy an intimate celebration in La Herradura or a slightly bigger festival in Almuñécar. Either way you are in for a treat and will enjoy the experience! The Carnaval de Almuñecar main party location for 2020 will held in the party tent en la plaza de Kuwait, near the aquarium.
Concejalía de Cultura y Fiestas de Almuñécar
11:00 Daycare Carnival party in Almuñécar
The local Children’s centers will have a party, to be held in front of the Ayuntamiento, Plaza de la Constitución.
17:00 Children’s Carnival Party!
This free event will be held in the party tent en la plaza de Kuwait, near the aquarium. There will be fun for everyone with bouncy houses, music, activities and great performances.
17:00 – Almuñécar Carnival bike parade
Get on your best costume and bring your bike. This is a fun event for children and adults, as you parade around town in costume riding your bicycles. The parade departs from the Stadium at 17:00, but show up about 30 minutes early to register for the event.
21:00 – 22:00 Almuñécar Carnival Parade
21:00 Departing for CEIP Virgen de la Antigua on Avenida Juan Carlos I
CEIP Virgen de la Antigua, Avenida Juan Carlos I, Calle de la Carrera de la Concepción, Avenida Europa, Plaza de Kuwait
22:00 Arrival at Carnival tent at Plaza de Kuwait.
Once again costumes are on parade for the adults! You will see individual costumes, small groups and large group costume themes as well. Join in on the fun or just come to watch. This will be held in the party tent en la plaza de Kuwait, near the aquarium. Enjoy the costume contest, chirigotas and more!
23:00 – 03:00 Almuñécar Grand Carnival Party and Concert
Entertainment all night long! Enjoy the fun, dance, and socialize. This will be held in the party tent en la plaza de Kuwait, near the aquarium. The photo below is from years past near the Ayuntamiento.
The 2021 program will be available in February 2021, events are always 6-7 weeks before Easter.
La Herradura Carnival 2020
Music and entertainment at Plaza de la Independencia
21:00 La Herradura Carnival parade
Once again costumes are on parade for the adults! You will see individual costumes, small groups and large group costume themes as well. Join in on the fun or just come to watch. The parade will depart from the Civic Center at 21:00 and make its way to Plaza de la Independencia. The chirigotas will be singing and the costume contest will be held on stage. Come see who will win the prizes this year!
12:00 Infantil Carnival in La Herradura
Children’s Center of La Herradura will parade starting at 12:00 from the Civic Center to the Plaza de La Independencia.
12:00 La Herradura Carnival Infantil Party!
The Carnival party, with bouncy houses, activities and more. Plaza de La Independencia
21:00 Night of Carnival
(NOCHE CARNAVALESCA) at the Civic Center auditorium (Teatro del Centro Cívico). Free entry.
La Herradura & Almuñécar Carnival Image Gallery
Guide to Carnivales in Andalucia
Read more about the various events in Andalucia here.