At the end of September, we are always in for a treat with the Fiestas de San Miguel, in the barrio del Castillo Almuñécar! Up high on the hill in the old town, near the castle, the streets come alive for a few days and nights.
Table of Contents
Who is San Miguel?
San Miguel (Saint Michael) is one of the seven archangels and is among the three whose names appear in the Bible. The other two are Gabriel and Rafael. The Holy Church gives San Miguel the highest place among the archangels and calls him “Prince of the heavenly spirits”, or “head or head of the heavenly militia”. In the Old Testament, he appears as the great defender of the people of God against the Devil, and his powerful defense continues in the New Testament.
Very appropriately, he is represented in art as the warrior angel, the conqueror of Lucifer, putting his heel on the head of the infernal enemy, threatening him with his sword, piercing him with his spear, or ready to chain him forever in the abyss of hell. Christendom from the early Church reveres San Miguel as the angel who defeated Satan and his followers and cast them out of heaven with his sword of fire.
He is traditionally recognized as the guardian of the Christian armies against the enemies of the Church and as a protector of Christians against the diabolical powers, especially at the time of death.
Día de San Miguel (29 September)
San Miguel is the patron saint of the neighborhood “El Castillo” or the Castle. These are the streets and alleyways at the top of the hill, closest to the San Miguel Castle and some of the surrounding streets.
This usually includes a few days of activities, food, drinks, music, dancing, and plenty of fun. Each night is full of people gathering at the makeshift bars on the neighborhood streets, as well as kids enjoying the events as well. The parties usually begin during the day and continue into the wee hours every night, typically including amazing fireworks. There is an official party tent in front of the castle for the performances and concerts.
There is an official party tent in front of the castle for the performances and concerts.
Almuñécar Fiestas de San Miguel Schedule 2023
There is an official party tent in front of the castle for the activities, performances, and concerts.
Friday, 29 September
- 10:00 Visit to the Barrio de San Miguel Cueva 7 Palacios Museum and Castillo de San Miguel by the students of the First Cycle of Primary of the CEIP San Miguel
- 13:00 Opening of the Day Fair
- 14:00 White Harmony Performance
- 17:00 Zumba Exhibition by Evi Martín Official party tent
- 18:00 Mass in honor of San Miguel the Archangel
- 20:00 Solemn Procession of San Miguel the Archangel
- 22:00 Concert – Luis Molero
- 23:30 Performance by Marcos Cortes, in the Official party tent
Saturday, 30 September
- 12:00 Performance of the Charanga Sexitana through the streets of the neighborhood
- 13:00 Gin Tonic Performance
- 16:30 Balloon Shower and Calle San Miguel
- 19:00 Zumba Exhibition by Paco Zumba
- 20:30 Concert – Miguel Garena Copia
- 21:30 Performance Pirate and Makarena
- 23:00 Fireworks display at the Castle
- 01:00 Performance by Charly Ro and Emilio DJ
Sunday, 1 October
- 12:30 Great Foam Party!
- 15:00 Performance by Carlos Neyall and Miguel Moreno
During the World Tourism Day holidays, visits to the Cueva 7 Palacios Museum and Castillo de San Miguel will be free.