The barrio of Torrecuevas Almuñécar hosts the Fiestas de la Chirimoya to celebrate the harvest of the chirimoya (a custard apple), in honor of the Virgen Madre. The Chirimoya Festival of barrio Torrecuevas usually includes 4 days of celebration, activities, music, dancing, eating and drinking. The Fiestas de la Chirimoya usually takes place around the 12th of October, which is also Día de la Hispanidad (Hispanic Heritage Day) and Fiestas de Pilar.
Table of Contents
- What is a Chirimoya or Cherimoya?
- Who is the Virgen Madre?
- Día de la Hispanidad (October 12)
- Dates for the Fiestas de Torrecuevas y Fiesta de la Chirimoya en Almuñécar
- Fiestas de Torrecuevas (Chirimoya Festival) Location
- Program 2022 Fiestas de Torrecuevas y Fiesta de la Chirimoya en Almuñécar
What is a Chirimoya or Cherimoya?
Chirimoyas are a popular fruit in Spain, mainly grown in the southern province of Granada, in Costa Tropical. Chirimoyas are also called “cherimoyas” or Custard Apples in English and are delicious tropical fruit. They are native to South America (Peru, Bolivia, and Ecuador), but Spain has them too!
Chirimoyas are grown on trees and are green heart-shaped fruit, with bumps on the outside. Once it is slightly soft to the touch, it is ripe and time to cut open. Inside you will find a white, juicy flesh, with a soft custard-like texture and large black seeds. Many people love them and they are full of health benefits too! Find out all about the chirimoya calories, nutritional data, and health benefits here.
Chirimoya Arbol / Chirimoya Tree
All through Costa Tropical, you will see many chirimoya trees growing in our unique microclimate. The fruit is available to purchase and eat from October through the winter in Spain. When you travel to Spain, make sure to taste these tasty treats and know they likely came from Costa Tropical.
Who is the Virgen Madre?
The Torrecuevas Chirimoya Festival of Almuñécar is a celebration in honor of the Virgen Madre (Virgin Mother), which has been celebrated since the 1960s. The Virgen El Pilar is the name given to Mary for the time when the Apostle Saint James was praying on the banks of the river in Zaragoza Spain. At this moment, the Virgin Mary is supposed to have appeared to him on a marble pillar and asked him to build a church on the land upon which he was standing.
Initially, a chapel was built around the pilar followed by ever grander churches over the centuries. Today the magnificent Basilica del Pilar which was designed in 1681 stands on this spot. Major alterations took place in the 18th century and the Basilica’s towers weren’t completed until the 20th century. Read more about the Virgen el Pilar or Virgin Mary here.
Día de la Hispanidad (October 12)
There is some interesting information on this national holiday in Spain. It is also known as Fiesta Nacional de España. Read more about the history of this Spanish holiday and how it has changed meanings over the years and even become a combination of holidays.
Dates for the Fiestas de Torrecuevas y Fiesta de la Chirimoya en Almuñécar
Fiestas de Torrecuevas (Chirimoya Festival) Location
The neighborhood of Torrecuevas is located in the valley leading up to Jete and Otivar from Almuñécar. Right along the road, just above the river, you will see a portion of the Roman Aqueducts and a playground. Check the city bus schedule to get there (bus line 5).
Fiestas de Torrecuevas y Fiesta de la Chirimoya en Almuñécar
The neighborhood of Torrecuevas celebrates the Chirimoya Festivities in Honor of the Virgin Mother from October 8-12, 2022 (Saturday through Wednesday). It’s the Fiestas de Torrecuevas and it will be centered at Plaza de Luciano Rodríguez, the hub of the festival. The weekend will be filled with fun activities, games, and a foam party for the kids. Opening day is Saturday, October 8, in Plaza de Luciano Rodríguez (Torrecuevas Aqueduct) at 13:00.
Download the full schedule from the tourism site.
Saturday, October 08, 2022
- 13:00 Opening ceremony
- 14:15 Free food – Migas (Crumbs is the translation, but it is a dish of fried flour and sometimes other items)
- 16:30 Contest de Paulo!
- 17:40 Competition of chinchón ladies
- 19:00 Free bouncy house (30 min)
- 19:30 Gifts for the kids
- 23:30 Music and Entertainment “Davinci”
Sunday, October 09, 2022
At night there will be a procession to honor the Virgin Mother and finish with fireworks.
- 10:30 Color Run! Torrecuevas color race was organized by the AMPA of the Torrecuevas school and the association of neighbors.
5€ for the fundraiser and the cost of colored powders. Don’t miss it!
- 11:30 Table Tennis
- 12:15 Foam Party for the kids!
- 13:00 Treats for the kids
- 13:15 Zumba!
- 14:15 Free food – Puchero de Coles (Garbanzo & cabbage stew)
- 15:30 Chirimoya tasting
- 17:00 Merienda Solidaia
- 18:00 Pastries!
- 19:00 Raining sweets in the Plaza
- 19:30 Display of Tropical Fruits
- 20:30 Unveiling of the plaque
- 22:30 Night of Flamenco and Copla!
Monday, October 10, 2022
- 16:00 to 19:00 Exposition – memories, photos, documents, and more (10 – 14 of October), Activities too.
- 21:00 A night of music with Miguel Moreno
Tuesday, October 11, 2022
- 10:00 Breakfast and activities
- 17:30 Games
- 18:15 Vanilla waffles and crepes
- 19:15 Rain of treats in the plaza!
- 20:15 Night hike through the valley
- 23:30 Music and Entertainment “Davinci”
Wednesday, October 12, 2022
- 10:00 V Trail Running Torrecuevas
- 10:15 Petanque contest at rambla (dry riverbed)
- 11:00XIII Fútbol championship
- 11:30 Pastries!
- 12:00 Bouncy house free for 30 min
- 12:15 Gifts for the kids
- 12:15 50th anniversary commemoration
- 14:15 Free food – Paella gigante (big paella)
- 16:00 Awards
- 17:30 Celebration of the Holy Mass in honor of the Virgen Madre
- 18:15 Solemn procession
- 22:45 Fireworks
- 23:00 Music & Entertainment
- 01:30 End of the fiestas!