If you like mosaic art, then join us on this photo walk along the Paseo Puerta del Mar Almuñécar, Spain. What were once ordinary cement benches, are now beautiful works of art and local attractions. Each bench is covered with white mosaic tiles and accented with an amazing design in blue mosaic tile.
As you walk along the paseo, take the time to look at each and every one. The spectacular mosaic designs of José Cabrera range from images of sea life to cultural sites around Almuñécar. With more than 37 works of art on the benches and don’t forget to carefully examine the massive pulpo in the round about. He not only came up with the idea for work of art, he also drew the mosaic tile designs, and constructed the mosaic. Each bench takes about 2-4 weeks to complete, depending on the mosaic design and whether it is a flat bench or one with a raised back.
Almuñécar’s Mosaic Artist
Almuñécar’s mosaic artist, D. José Cabrera Alaminos, should be very proud of his work and we look forward to seeing more. He informed us that he will be moving on to San Cristobal beach area and the round about in front of Chinasol in 2018!
Photo Walk Of Mosaic Art Along Playa Puerta Del Mar
Starting with the Monument to Phoenicians at the Paseo del Altillo and heading east, towards Aquatropic, you will find numerous works of mosaic art.
Do you recognize some of the town sites, San Miguel Castle, Iglesia de la Encarnación, Majuelo Park, the Roman Aqueduct, Peñones del Santo, fishing boats and more? Which one is your favorite?
Where is Paseo Puerta del Mar?
Puerta del Mar Beach (Playa Puerta del Mar) is located in the center of Almuñécar and is likely the busiest beach in town. It is easily accessible and is close to the shopping areas and town center. It is also right in the heart of the nightlife, near many restaurants, bars and clubs.
Length = 760 m, surface area = 32.100 m2, capacity = 6.450 users.
Looking for more things to do Almuñécar?
If this wasn’t enough for you or you want more adventurous activities, please review our full list of Things To Do in Almuñécar, including 1/2 day and full day trips from Almuñécar.
Here is a little sample for you!
- Aquarius Aquarium – Located just behind the Mercado Municipal in the town center. This is a white building with the aquarium underground and a large plaza and cafe above.
- Ayuntamiento – Town Hall
- Bonsai Garden Museum
- Calle Real Fountain
- Castillo de San Miguel – St. Michael’s Castle
- Archaeological Museum – Cueva de Siete Palacios
- Fish-Salting Factory – Located just below the Castle within the El Majuelo Botanical Park.
- Friday Market
- Loro Sexi Exotic Bird Park
- Majuelo Botanical Garden and Park
- Municipal Market (Mercado Municipal)
- Palacete de la Najarra – Tourist Office
- Peñones del Santo Almuñecar (Holy Rocks)
- The Phoenician Necropolis of Puente de Noy
- Playgrounds and Parks – Almuñécar
- Plazas around Almuñécar
- Roman Aqueduct Ruins & event venue
- Roman Baths and Aqueduct Ruins
- Walking – Self guided walking tours
- Wine Tasting & event venue
- Movies! Enjoy the cinema in a various settings!